Robert Hobbs collection [graphic materials, textual records] / Robert Hobbs
Supplied title noteTitle is based on the creator of the records.
12.5 cm of textual records
6 photographs : b&w ; 7 cm x 12 cm - 23 cm x 17.5 cm
Administrative history / Biographical sketchCaptain Robert “Bob” Hobbs was born in 1884 in Bird Island Cove (now called Elliston), Newfoundland. In the early 1900s, Hobbs moved to Vancouver, British Columbia, where he worked as a commercial fisherman. Hobbs married pianist Edna Louise Hoover, and in 1929 they had a son named Robert Randall. In 1928, Hobbs bought the Western Fisher, a 60 ft seiner that was built in 1927 by W. R. Menchions and Company. Hobbs was captain of the Western Fisher for the remainder of his career, sailing in Puget Sound and the Coastal waters of British Columbia. Hobbs joined the Fishermen’s Reserve section of the Royal Canadian Navy in 1938, the same year that the section was formed to protect the Pacific coast in anticipation of World War II. In the Fishermen’s Reserve, Hobbs worked as a coxswaine, which was the Reserve’s title for skipper. He was never mobilized for World War II service, although he did work with the Reserve until its dissolution in 1944. Hobbs continued his work as a fisherman until his death in 1957.
Scope & contentRecords in this collection are related to the personal activities and maritime career of Captain Robert Hobbs. Hobbs’ collection includes records that span from 1934 until 1937, and primarily pertains to Vancouver, Victoria, Puget Sound, and the Coastal waters of British Columbia. The first series of Hobbs’ collection contains six black and white photographs which depict Hobbs, his wife, the Western Fisher, his crew, and the Fishermen’s Reserve in Esquimalt. The second series contains Hobbs’ maritime certificates, correspondence, ration books, poetry, landing permits, a Search and Rescue BC handbook, and seven logbooks.
Original arrangement of logbooks reconstructed according to their dates of creation. All other graphic materials were donated in an envelope, and photographs, with the exception of the Fishermen’s Reserve photograph, were donated in a second envelope. This arrangement has been kept. Photograph of Fishermen’s reserve (1939) was originally donated in a frame which has been removed.
Related materialsSee also Fishermen's Reserve collection (VMM09).