Burrard Shipyard and Engineering Works Ltd was started in 1924 by Angus and John MacDonald. It was based on Georgia St. in Vancouver; the area is sometimes known as Coal Harbour. During its operation it was closely affiliated with Burrard Estates Ltd as they were both owned by the MacDonald family. In the 1950s Burrard Shipyard bought Burrard Estates, although even previous to this sale, they were both operated out of the same address and by the same people. In 1961 the shipyard was sold to Allied Shipbuilders as a repair site and the name was changed to Burrard Shipyard and Marine Ways Ltd. Allied Shipbuilders moved the majority of work to a larger shipyard on the north shore in 1967, but continued to also use the Burrard Shipyard until 1979 when it was closed to make-way for several high-rise towers.
This fonds consists of mostly financial records including: financial statements, balances, and accounts for the organization from 1941-1961; 3 ledger books filled with business accounts, employee information, and specific projects covering 1925-1955; tenders, which includes requests for tender quotes from various boat owners, letters explaining why or why not Burrard Shipyard won the tender, and requests from Burrard Shipyard to other businesses for price quotes; corporate and provincial tax forms and 'return by employers' for Income Tax for 1924-1961. The fonds also contains letters about the potential sale of the company in 1958 and again in 1960; a sampling of professional correspondence from 1956-1960; and, 2 photos of the large Crandall Dock at their facilities.
The original filing scheme for these records was kept when the items were rehoused for preservation. Records were kept in their original order and file names were also maintained.